- Cultivate a broad network to exchange ideas and rally collaborative support.
- Stay in touch with people at all levels of your organization -- vertically and horizontally.
- Continuously investigate what managers and higher-level management need from you and the IT organization.
- Respect and openly acknowledge the individuals on your team.
- Adapt your interpersonal style to align with the strengths and shortcomings of other's styles.
- Act to preserve relationships, even under difficult stress or heated emotional circumstances.
- Promote collaboration and remove obstacles to teamwork across the organization.
Excerpted with permission of the publisher, John Wiley & Sons Inc., from The CIO Survival Guide: The Roles and Responsibilities of the Chief Information Officer by Karl Schubert. Copyright© 2004 by John Wiley & Sons Inc.