PEBBLE BEACH, CALIF. -- Do you need some ideas on how to turn your IT department into a lean, mean, value-delivering machine? At TechTarget's recent CIO Conference, Tom Pisello, CEO of Alinean Software Inc.,
offered up 10 steps to superior IT effectiveness and efficiency.
- Think like the CEO. Focus on the business first. This will affect your competitive advantage.
- Communicate in stakeholder-specific terms, such as "competitive advantage," "growth," "income statement," "TCO" and "key business metrics."
- Think strategically. Create a competitive analysis. Compare your company to others in the industry. Be aware of where you stand, and communicate that to your board.
- Know where your company stands in terms of things like net income vs. IT spending and revenue.
- Manage tactically. Project ROI. Look at the overall impact of projects across the business.
- Don't forget the intangible benefits and risks, such as costs, financial impact, IT cost reductions, revenue and more.
- Manage IT investments as a portfolio.
- Translate bottom up project ROI into financial impact.
- Remain agile and prudent but stay innovative
- Do analysis continuously. Establish internal and external ROI SLAs for continuous improvement.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
While we're talking lists, here are three things you need to know about compliance, storage and security before you make a business case.