So glad you found us! Going forward, this will be the home of the weekly roundup -- a collection of news, analysis and digital ephemera from around the Web that you may have missed. This week we bring you a favorable forecast for the digital economy and reasons to sharpen your social media skills. Plus, find out which dying industry Google decided to kick while it's down!
- As Cisco goes, so goes the tech world? We're rooting for The New York Times claim that Cisco's expectations-beating quarterly results really are "a sign of the strength of investment in the engine rooms of the digital economy."
- Searching on a tablet with one hand, replying to an email on the phone with the other, while on a video conference on your laptop? That's awesome -- if you like decreasing your actual productivity whilst lowering your IQ.
- Will there soon be one less type of bring your own device, aka BYOD issue for CIOs to worry about? Read this techie's take on the tumble of the tablet.
- Over the centuries (OK, decades) computer nerds have worn their social awkwardness like a badge of honor. Well, knock it off, Poindexter. This isn't The Big Bang Theory; it's your IT career. From social media skills to real-life interaction, check out these five social skills IT pros must have.
Read related content on SearchCIO.com
The CIO job: Ten skills needed to land the top position
IBM's CIO experiments with role-based management of IT BYOD
Is mobile device virtualization the answer to BYOD?
- Coolly meta or truly mean? In an apparent nod to '80s teen movies in which the rich kid takes delight in embarrassing the poor kid, Google takes out a print ad to prove newspaper ads don't work.
- It really does pay to be able to talk in sound bites -- or in this case, type in them. Yahoo and Twitter are joining forces to create a talk show that takes place entirely on social media. #howisthattalking?
Let us know what you think about the story; email Karen Goulart, Features Writer.