It's time to start thinking about annual performance reviews -- for both your staff and yourself. Take stock of
your CIO career and figure out the next steps for 2012 and beyond. We've rounded up a quick-hit top 10 CIO career must-read list to give you lots of food for thought when it comes time to write those self-evaluations and goals, as well as tips for mentoring your IT staff and making sure that your succession candidate is ready to fill your shoes when you move up the ladder -- or retire to live a peaceful life on your private compound in the Bahamas.
- Motivation incentives for IT staff when salary increases not an option
In the wake of the worst US economy in history, CIOs are scrambling to retain their key players, who might just be waiting out the storm. Use creativity to keep your staff happy when the budget doesn't allow a salary boost.
- 2011 IT salary and CIO careers survey guide
Want to know where you stand when it comes to the money in your paycheck? Compare your earnings with those of your fellow CIOs, and use this information to negotiate your 2012 compensation.
- The IT roles needed for the IT organization of the future
IT's status quo will be toppled by the need for speed and tech-savvy employees. Here's what's vital for operating the IT organization of the future.
- Dice report: With poaching on the rise, is your IT talent happy?
A rock-solid support team is crucial for successful CIO careers, but your rock-star team members are in danger of getting poached by other companies -- as are you.
- The inside dope on what CEOs are looking for in the CIO role
If you've always wanted to get inside the CEO's head, here's your first-class ticket. We've got the scoop on what CEOs are looking for in their ideal CIO candidates.
- Large data sets pose huge challenges for CIOs, but boost CIO careers too
In the age of commoditized IT, the CIO has an opportunity to get back into the boardroom by unlocking the mysteries of big data.
- Workforce of the future puts CIOs in the hot seat
CIOs need to start thinking about workforce shortages and ensure that they have quality talent in the years to come, starting with fostering a corporate culture.
- Don’t miss out: The most interesting technology conferences of 2011
Keep your skills sharp and stay on top of industry trends by picking the brains of your colleagues at these choice technology conferences in 2011 and beyond.
- CIO role in innovation begins with foresight
A podcast that discusses "shadow IT" and how it complicates the CIO role while also invigorating the future culture of innovation.
- Exit Signs: When to Bring an End to Your CIO Tenure
Leaving the CIO role is not a sign of failure but rather a passion for authenticity. Here's a sanity check on whether your current role has passed its expiration date.
Let us know what you think about the story; email Wendy Schuchart, Site Editor.