In 2006, businesses will be caught between opposing forces -- an unpredictable economy and a surge in innovation with emerging technologies, according to Gartner. IT managers have to gear up for big projects -- while containing costs and proceeding with caution. CIOs cannot ignore the significance of costs and risks in 2006.But they do need a new to-do list for the coming year. Gartner broke their Top 10 list down into three categories to help CIOs get started.
Choose 2006 tactics towards a 2008 strategy
- Educate your business about the second Internet revolution. The power of the Internet can disrupt or threaten business processes -- and also offer new opportunities for revenue and growth.
- Set some "do not migrate" orders in advance.
- Target 2008 for major innovation delivery.
- Get yourself and your team ready for your next jobs.
Insist on agility -- in the heart of the organization
- Start a significant "software as a service" implementation as a trial.
- Organize your merger and acquisition capability.
- Revisit capitalization with your CFO.
- Build your brand and your team identity.
- Refresh your meetings with your CEO.
- Check out some 2006 "hot" technologies.
Push beyond 2005 comfort zones