- Strategy: IT must understand the firm's products and markets, value proposition, differentiators, driving force, major issues and major thrusts to develop its strategy.
- Organization: To get applications right, relationship managers and key application experts must be close to the business so they can readily identify its needs.
- Projects: IT projects must be solidly linked to, and indeed derived from, the business plan.
- Applications: Applications are IT's core deliverable. Everything the IT organization does must support delivering them.
- Infrastructure: Hardware, software and networks must be designed to support business strategy and apps.
- Governance: Business leaders must set IT priorities, allocating scarce resources to the most important projects.
-- John Oglesby can be reached at ITPlanning@hotpop.com.
This was first published in March 2005