1. Blog: Start writing about the topics in which you want to establish expertise.
2. Refresh your résumé: List most recent projects and new career goals.
3. Contact headhunters: They know who's hiring and what's hot.
4. Hunt for projects: Refuse to be unemployed. Take contracting or consulting work.
5. Get out there: Attend industry and trade events in your area. Offer to speak, join, sign up.
6. Write a book: Now you've got the time. Contact an IT publisher with some ideas.
Michael Ybarra is a contributing writer for SearchCIO-Midmarket.com. Write to him at email@example.com.
This was first published in January 2007