Access your Pro+ Content below.
Data security measures for cloud and mobile that don't put users off
This article is part of the CIO Decisions issue of October 2012 Volume 16
When it comes to consumerization -- whether you're referring to social media, mobile devices, cloud services or all of the above -- 99.9% of employees will use common sense and take corporate data security measures into consideration before they share data, believes Dave Trigo, vice president and corporate CIO at The Hanover Insurance Group Inc. On the other hand, "It's that 0.1% that can kill you," he said. One breach could ruin us, so we ask how [the vendor] does backups, what they have for DR, what their security posture and capabilities are, who is responsible should something happen. Dave Trigo, vice president and corporate CIO, The Hanover Insurance Group Inc. Still not worried? Talk to an information security officer in charge of a heavily regulated company like defense and aerospace systems maker Raytheon Co. about the use of cloud services or mobile devices, and the observation "It's that 0.1% that can kill you" skyrockets. "I don't think you can get away with saying [to auditors] that we educated our users about our ...
Access this PRO+ Content for Free!
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
Features in this issue
Put the onus for security on back-end data security measures and vendors, not the end user, when it comes to mobile, social and cloud.
CIOs explain how a combined technology and marketing strategy helps companies respond to customers, and why business must serve customers differently.
News in this issue
Green technology solutions are a vital part of Janet Claggett's CIO role.
Enterprises are relying on the CIO for faster time to market and faster time to value through the use of Agile practices.
Get cracking on big data and analytics or go home, says a panel of data experts at the recent MIT Sloan CIO Symposium.