A Chief Operating Officer (COO) is the corporate executive who oversees ongoing business operations within the company. The COO reports to the CEO (Chief Executive Officer) and is usually second-in-command within the company. Alternative titles for the COO include Chief Operations Officer, Operations Director and Director of Operations.
Although the role of the COO varies greatly from one industry to another and even from one company to another, typical functions of the position include:
- Overseeing day-to-day operations and keeping the CEO apprised of significant events.
- Creating operations strategy and policies.
- Communicating strategy and policy to employees.
- Fostering employee alignment with corporate goals.
- Overseeing human resource management (HRM).